According to the National Institute on Aging, boredom and depression can lead to forgetfulness. The American Academy of Family Physicians points to inactivity as one of the reasons many elderly fail to thrive. So how do you interact with a senior who is no longer working, perhaps of limited ability and prone to depression?
There are several ways to accomplish this, including:
- Encourage parents to listen to books on tape or CD
- Offer selections of their favorite music to keep brain cells stimulated
- Encourage elders to engage in exercise classes or day trips sponsored by community park and recreation departments
- Suggest your parents purchase a pet: it can be a cat, dog, bird, fish, turtle or hamster (limit pets to those your parents are capable of caring for)
- Encourage your parents to volunteer in various community activities or programs
Studies have shown that light exercise for seniors is fabulous for mental health and mobility issues. Exercise for seniors promotes higher spirits and allows social interaction that wouldn't have otherwise been open.
A-1 Home Care has 24 Hour Santa Monica Caregivers who can provide exercise accompaniment for the senior you love. A-1 Home Care provides Santa Monica Hospice Care in the cities of Santa Monica, Culver City, Brentwood, Marina Del Rey, Los Angeles County and Orange County. Our rates are competitive with those of assisted living homes.
Call 310-657-8780 today. A-1 Home Care is ready to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.We provide qualified In Home Care.